Jobs & Internships
Thank you for your interest in working for Lookout Mountain Conservancy.
Lookout Mountain Conservancy is looking for a grant writer:
Scope of Services
Lookout Mountain Conservancy is a dynamic nonprofit, leading the community in conservation, community engagement and outdoor recreation. Lookout Mountain Conservancy is seeking grant writing services associated with the completion and submission of grant applications, grant research, grant reporting and the creation and maintenance of a grant writing calendar grant schedule and provide overall oversight and project management of the grant seeking process, freeing leadership to focus on executive and programmatic responsibilities.
There are a few areas in which grants are needed:
- Land acquisition for conservation
- Health equity and education through natural activities on conservation owned land in communities of color and systemic racism
- Youth education and employment
- Trail building/maintenance, Bouldering Park, Pollinator Garden, Teaching Garden, Greenhouse
- Urban and rural carbon offset programs
Service Period and Terms
Contract will be for six months (6) months, beginning November 1, 2020 ending June 30, 2021, with a six-month optional renewal, upon mutual agreement of the parties. Deadline to receive responses is October 15, 2020.
The following list is not meant to be exhaustive, but rather a high-level outline of services Lookout Mountain Conservancy are seeking in a contract grant writer.
Ongoing Grants Management:
- Contractor will ensure that projects are moving forward and completed on schedule by managing the annual grant writing and reporting calendar and will advise Lookout Mountain Conservancy on grant opportunities.
- Participate in monthly phone or in-person check-in meetings with Lookout Mountain Conservancy to discuss current and upcoming grant opportunities and to provide updates and weekly email updates between monthly calls.
- Participate in quarterly phone or in-person check-in meetings with Lookout Mountain Conservancy to discuss current and upcoming grant opportunities and to provide updates.
- Develop clear, actionable agendas for every meeting to effectively use Lookout Mountain Conservancy's time
- Vet grant opportunities for Lookout Mountain Conservancy and provide recommendations on next steps.
Grant Pipeline & Calendar Development:
- Develop a strategic grants calendar and schedule for the upcoming year that represents a variety of funders and the funding areas as outlined above. Creation of this calendar shall include information about the funder and funding opportunity, deadline, and award amount, along with a mix of programmatic and general operating support.
- Regularly scan for grant opportunities for Lookout Mountain Conservancy—providing updates to the grants calendar and LMC staff as new opportunities are identified.
- Update the grant narrative boilerplate and work with Lookout Mountain Conservancy leadership to advise on strategic funding directions and language.
- Review and provide feedback of commonly requested attachments.
A detailed description of how your organization will perform the following grant writing services:
- Funding needs analysis
- Identification of appropriate grant resources
- Grant preparation process
- Grant review and approval process e.
- Time frame of whole process (steps 1-4)
- Examples of grant writing efforts which have been conducted, including examples of successful (funded) proposals.
- A minimum of three (3) references for which you have provided grant writing services.
Competitive compensation is will be based on background and experience. Please email information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are always looking for great volunteers. Read how past volunteers have contributed and check out our volunteer opportunities for ideas on how we can work together. Join us and leave your mark on the Mountain.
Lydia on Lookout
Lookout Mountain has been a part of Lydia McWilliams’ life for 20 years, since the time her parents purchased a home and chose to raise their family on the mountain. Three years ago, when Lydia left town for Baylor College, she didn’t realize how much she would miss the Mountain. She contacted CEO Robyn Carlton last spring, and asked if there was something she could do. Her timing was serendipitous. Just that week, Robyn had posted an announcement with local colleges, in search of a summer intern.
Thank you, Lydia for leaving your mark on the Mountain and on us.
For information on Lookout Mountain Conservancy’s Summer 2017 Internship opportunities, contact email@example.com.
The All Girls Volunteer Corps
Three years ago, three friends, Dawson, Ryan and Ellie, pulled up at the Old Wahautchie Pike parking lot ready to volunteer for trail work on the mountain. They have returned every summer since.
Always prepared for a full day’s work, they arrive early in the morning, pitching in wherever needed: cutting back forest overgrowth, hauling rocks, identifying and destroying invasives and creating a sense of teamwork in playing games with our many youth volunteers. Thank you Dawson, Ryan and Ellie for three years of your muscle on the Mountain.
Help us grow
Every day there are high school students waiting to join our conservation programs, families wanting to save their lands and miles of trails to be maintained. Help us grow our community impact. If you would like to sponsor an internship or staff position, please email or call Robyn Carlton, CEO, at 423-424-3882.